Sunday, January 20, 2008

When One Saved Us All



It's very lively where I am now, its the grade parade for the patron saint of the city if you believe in things like that. It hasn't been much of a prayerful time if that's what you're thinking. In fact the celebration itself has become less about the patron saint being celebrated than it is a commercial event.

The Sinulog festival here in Cebu is now more of a grand parade and Cebu City highlight compared to a solemn event. Many people believe that santo nino - the child saint for which this festival is named after is a reflection of Jesus Christ as a child.

In fact people from all over the world to see people dance on the streets and party all night. I have to admit, I have had my share of sinulog celebrations and it was indeed fun. Face painting, bar hopping, dancing and drinking are all part of the event.

Not to say that it's not fun and that it shouldn't be. But I made it a point today to go to church before the roads were blocked for the mardi gras parade. I wanted to thank God for the rich blessings of the city and of course my family.

In the end, I'm just glad Jesus came to die for our sins and for guiding us thus far.

No comments: